Lessons were first offered at The MusicBox in 2003 and has grown quite considerably since then. There are a number of teachers currently teaching at the MusicBox, some of whom are graduates from MUN’s School of Music. We offer students preparation for music exams (Kiwanis, RCM, etc…), auditions (MUN’s School of Music, bands, musicals, etc…), or simply teach for musical enjoyment.
We are also pleased to announce our new format whereby we have three levels of lessons:
- Student Instructor – These are our “instructors in training”. All instructors are enthusiastic and eager to share their talents.
- Semi Professional Instructor – These performers have much experience and theory qualification.
- Professional Instructor – High level credentials and experience.
We offer lessons in most styles and instruments ranging from beginner to advanced as well to all ages.
During the summer we offer different music camps depending on interest such as our popular Songwriter Camp, Rock Camp, Choir and Music Appreciation.
We have many performance opportunities at The MusicBox such as:
- Two annual Student Recitals
- Open Mics
- Charity Events
- MB Concert-Series
- Monthly Church service for our band Inspiration and our children’s choir Courage.
- Large scale Musical Theatre production which collaborates our Musical Theatre Class with local performers from the area
- Master Classes
We currently have private lessons offered in:
- Acoustic and Electric Guitar
- Classical Guitar
- Button and Keyboard Accordion
- Fiddle / Violin
- Drums / Percussion / Snare
There are Group Music Classes for ages 2-5. Parent and Tot (Ages 2-3) and Preschool Class (Ages 3-5) Please contact Crystal to learn more about the particular classes and times slots.
This class is intended for ages 14-18. Covering classical theory elements, song writing and music production.
This class is intended for ages 7-14. This fun interactive class involves singing and acting. Students get to perform in various events and a Production in the Spring.
Specific Instrument Classes:
This class is intended for any age or any instrument depending on interest. An example of this type class would be our group accordion lessons. Where everyone works on specific songs in a group.
In this setting people can perform for one another. Each offering constructive critique and review of the performance.
We are very pleased to offer online lessons. These lessons are typically done through a Skype or Hangout session. We began offering online lessons in September, 2015 and have dedicated much time in providing all participants with the highest level quality we can offer. Currently we offer sessions in Classical Guitar, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Theory, Song Writing, Button Accordion, Piano Accordion and Fiddle.
Here are some samples of the quality and sound (This is from our end only, and your connection and devices will also have a large impact on the end result).
Guitar and voice:
Tips for those interested in lessons online via Skype or hangouts:
- The quality of video and audio depends largely on your internet connection and equipment.
- Video – A high quality webcam.
- Audio – A built in mic would work best however, in most cases your on board mic should be sufficient.
- Headphones are recommended.
- Internet connection – Faster the better.
- 1.5 Mbps upload recommended.
- Minimum CPU specs:
- Any 2 GHz dual core processor or greater.